Friday, August 7, 2009

A Life Experience Waiting for the Bus



I sat on a bench in the shade
in Lenox town square, waiting
for the Peter Pan to Providence.
Two benches down
a noisy family shouted to
each other rather than spoke.
They seemed kind of crude,
even vulgar.
They picked up all their things
and joined me,
kind of engulfed me, a mom,
an unidentified man, and a teenage
girl (who could have been a boy,
with androgynous length hair)
large, wide people, waddling my
way. With an unexpected,
uncalled for sweetness they
took it upon themselves to
ascertain my level of experience
with the Peter Pan bus line,
and to provide me with
all the information necessary for
my comfort as a traveler, most
especially the important fact that
the bus driver on this route is fond of
air conditioning and I might freeze
without a jacket handy.
The girl, who lives in some kind of
home and travels to her real
home on the Peter Pan bus line
periodically,
Insisted on carrying my heavy
suitcase for me and is not entirely
100% with us, but is as sweet
as can be and
looked so joyous
running back and forth to
the corner to watch for the bus
with her mother’s big old
sweater flapping around
her waist.


April 21, 2008

2 comments:

  1. Jo, I absolutely love your poetry. It is my most preferred kind of poetry, that of ordinary things becoming extraordinary in unexpected ways.
    I have a few like that and call them "Picture shots".
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I just saw this comment. Thank you sooo much! So encouraging! I'll search for your 'picture shots' on your blog.
    xo

    ReplyDelete